Friday, January 22, 2010

Thailand: The Trilogy Episode II

So, where did I leave off? First official day was Christmas and that evening Joe and I met my Dad for a nice Christmas dinner-Thai style.

Day Two
My darlings Alex and Phoebe arrived in Bangkok and we met up and went to the Chatuchek Market-supposedly one of the hugest markets in the word; and I don't think they were lying either. It was HUGE!! We perused for hours and probably didn't even see a quarter of it. We ate some amazing food at a tiny food stall, listened to some awesome live music, and bought some cool finds for dirt cheap! At one point it started raining and we welcomed it because it was so intensely hot-about 89 F!

I have made some good friends in Japan but it was so so nice to see my friends from home. We had a great day just wandering through the city and catching up, but it was such a tease becasue we only had one day together.
Some shots of the city:

Day Three
Another day of sightseeing with Joe-we hit all the places that we didn't get to on the first day. Wat Arun was our first stop and oddly it reminded me of a Mayan or Aztec structure. It didn't seem to follow the traditonal Thai architeture that we'd been seeing. There were dozens of stairs and they were sooooo steep!


After Arun we were nearly melting so we decided to take a boat trip through some of the canals and to a floating market. The canals and floating market were a more real side of Bangkok. Houses were falling apart and boarded up again to prevent what appeared to be the inevitable collapse into the canals. Dogs lay sprawled about on every porch, panting in the midday heat. Children swam and played in water I would never dream of swimming in. The market itself was filled mostly with locals and most of the boats were selling prepared meals rather than produce. It blew my mind to see them whipping up meals on these narrow little boats.




No comments:

Post a Comment